Consumption of natural resources and harmful environmental emissions are very often the same case. Reduced consumption of resources (lube oil, bunkers, chemicals, etc.) will normally reduce emissions. This means that what is good for the environment, very often also is a good economy for the company.
Operational emissions and consumption of natural resources
These are emissions caused by normal operation of the vessels and shall be minimized by:
- Systematic measurement and registration of vessel performance – benchmarking and comparison of sister vessels, establish optimal maintenance interval and operational procedures.
- ISO 14001 certification secure continous improvement.
- Garbage management plan
- Environmental evaluation of new products
- Use of environmental friendly technology
- Make understanding for the correlation between emissions and operation
- Maintenance performed according to the ships maintenance systems (PMS)
- Co-operation and sharing of information with suppliers and customers, in order to improve environmental performance.
Indirect emissions and consumption of natural resources
These are emissions caused by indirect actions e.g. procurement, transport of personnel/equipment and shall be minimized by:
- All employees onboard and ashore shall be aware of the Company’s environmental impact and find solutions for minimizing these.
- Optimize organization of travels, procurement, shipments and maintenance in order to minimize environmental impact.
Emissions caused by accidents
These emissions shall be avoided by:
- Risk Assessment of critical components and operations
- Maintenance carried out according to maintenance system (PMS)
- Training of personnel
- Reporting of non-conformities
- Systematic training in incident and accident management
- Equipment for reduction of oil pollution
In addition to the actions listed above, our operation shall always be in compliance with Legal Acts and Regulations.
KPI matrix for environment
The table below displays consumption and emissions for 2009-2020, and targets for 2021.
The collection and measurement of operational data started in preparation for ISO 14001 (environmental standard) certification, which was achieved in 2010.